Monday 8 June 2009

Triathlon anniversary

This time last year I was extremely nervous about competing in my first Sprint Triathlon. It was the first test of my weight loss, and one of the major goals I had been gearing my training towards.

This year I slept in and only managed to participate in the race after The Editor managed to register for me. Turning up 5 minutes after registration has closed, and 1 minute before Transition closes is not the wisest race strategy. But the extra 30 minutes in bed paid off.

In June, 2008, I came 121st out of 262, with a time of 1 hour, 27 minutes and 5 seconds.
In June, 2009, I came 38th out of 261, with a time of 1 hour, 14 minutes and 49 seconds.

My swim time improved 12 seconds. But this time I didn't even approach my anearobic threshold and I left the pool feeling great and ready for the bike.

My bike time improved by 5:07, partly due to using a merely 19 year old bicycle instead of a 59 year old one, but mostly due to my quads.

My run time improved by 6:43. That is considerable, and the visible result of a year of training.

Combined with an improvement in transition times, that's a overall 12 minute, 16 second improvement, which equates to around 14%.

The Editor wonders what I might have achieved if I'd started all this 14 years ago when I had youth on my side. Thankfully I was too busy eating pizza and drinking beer to think about it.

Current weight is 13 stones 4 pounds (186 pounds / 84.4 kg).


1 comment:

Unknown said...

IT'S JUST A BLOODY NONSENSE!

 

Free Blog Counter